Dedicated to simple decor ideas - especially in white! - inspiration for living simply,
reusing what you have, and scouring for vintage or thrifted finds. Some of my own DIY projects described here too.


Thursday, April 30, 2009

Display Ideas

Former decorating editor of Homes and Gardens, Julia Bird, creates fresh, clutter free displays The Simple Home. Essentially, Bird advises paring down to minimize clutter collected over the years. For me, this is a challenge! While I don't have a lot of stuff, I can veer towards layering too many items. While you can donate decorative objects to charity, Bird suggests putting them away.

Change displays throughout the year to maintain interest while creating particularly attractive objects to display to best effect. Group objects together, such as stacks of books next to collections of glass jars or white china. Layer pictures on a picture rail - use small pictures in large frames, rest smaller prints and frames against larger ones. Such displays appear stunning when set on a backdrop of neutral hues . . . think linen. . .

I will be back with more of Julia's books once I've gotten my hands on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment